Love Italian food? This quick recipe is sure to get your mouth watering! Here's the recipe:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef or Italian sausage (tastes great if you mix it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced summer squash
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 25 oz. jar of marinara sauce
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles each broken into 4 pieces
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozarella/provolone or Italian-blend cheese
- 1/3 cup shaved or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Coat a deep 12" skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Drain off as much of the grease as you can and return the pan to the stove.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. Add the chopped zucchini, summer squash, onion, and garlic.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork (about 5 minutes).
- Combine the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and water in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add uncooked lasagna noodles to the pan to cover the meat, breaking each noodle into 4 pieces as you add them to the pan.
- Pour the tomato mixture evenly over the pasta, making sure the edges are covered. Bring to a good simmer then reduce heat to medium. Cover pan and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove cover and drop spoonfuls of the ricotta over the surface of the lasagna.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella/provolone and Parmesan.
- Cover pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.