Do you enjoy Mexican dishes? If you are a fan of these delicious goodness that can be filled with a variety of fillings and garnished with various condiments- then this recipe is for you!
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 12-13 minutes
Use a 16-oz (500 mL) mug
- 1/3 quinoa, rinsed
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup ready-to-use chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup rinsed, drained, canned black beans
- 1/3 cup diced cooked chicken breast
- 3 tbsp salsa, divided
- 2 tbsp shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or green onions
Want to prep ahead?
- Measure the quinoa, cumin and broth into the mug; cover and refrigerate.
- Measure the beans, chicken and 2 tbsp salsa into a small, airtight container; cover and refrigerate.
- Measure the cheese and cilantro into a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate.
- Measure the remaining salsa into a small airtight container; cover and refrigerate until ready to use
- In the mug, combine the quinoa, cumin and broth.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir.
- Microwave on high for an additional 2 minutes. Cover with a small plate or saucer.
- Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or almost all of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in beans, chicken and 2 tbsp (30 ml) salsa.
- Cover and microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds or until heated through.
- Let stand, covered for 1 minute.
- Top with cheese, cilantro and remaining salsa.
- Serve with accompaniment as desired.
Extras & Tips:
- Pinto beans can be used in place of black beans
- Crumbled queso blanco can be used instead of Cheddar cheese
Accompaniment: Tortilla chips, warm corn or flour tortilla
Are you craving tacos now? Try out this recipe!